Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Just in time for Spring : How to Sculpt an Amazing Body
By Bob Wells, CPT, PES
Now that fashion week is over here in New York, you can turn your attention toward spring and bikini season. In just a few weeks, you will head to the beaches ready to show off your well-sculpted abs and defined arms and legs.
Don't be caught unprepared! Add these five moves to your program to get a hotter, leaner body and be ready for an amazing season:
1. lateral lunge with reach. Michael Baker, a Tier 3+ trainer at Equinox loves this exercise, since it "...builds strength in the horizontal plane." Baker adds that the lateral lunge "...is a great way to work your glutes, hamstrings, and quads, and get you a tighter, firmer butt."
2. pushup into side plank. This exercise is a favorite of Paige Waehner, since "it works everything, with a particular focus on the obliques as you rotate to the side and send the arm up in the air." To make the exercise harder, Waehner suggests holding a light weight in each hand as you lift the arm up."
3. db. chest press on physio ball. A chest press is a great way to work the chest, triceps, and shoulders. By increasing the complexity and adding the physio ball, the abdominal muscles have to work much harder than they would on a bench. They become stronger and leaner in the process.
4. bent over row on physio ball. The bent over row is a complement to the chest press, strengthening the back and shoulders to help maintain proper posture. The complexity of the physio ball challenges the core in a similar fashion as the chest press on physio ball.
5. unilateral squat jump. Ron McKeefery, former head strength and conditioning coach at the University of Tennessee, says the squat jump is a great exercise, since "It works all of the major muscles (glutes, hamstrings, thighs) on the leg that is doing the work."
An added reason to do these on one leg is "...to prevent bilateral dominance. This way you train to prevent muscular imbalances and deficiencies."
Do each exercise for 10-15 repetitions, for 3-5 sets, at least once a week and watch the pounds and the fat melt away. Your hot new body awaits!
A special thank you to Ron McKeefery, Michael Baker (Equinox), and Paige Waehner (About.com) for their help, and Ashley Castle for modeling the exercises.