By Bob Wells, CES, PES
In our never ending quest for pulchritude, we resort to all manner of “torture” to achieve this highly desirable trait.
Many opt for physical torture, such as signing up to do personal training with me. Some opt for dietary asceticism, and what seems like a lifetime of counting calories and points. Others opt for some combination of these two choices.
Still, our collective girth grows, leading us to question how we are ever going to achieve our goal to look better naked.
In addition to training right and sleeping right, we have to eat right to look and feel as fabulous as we should. Too often eating right means following one particular diet, which, news flash, doesn't work for everyone.
So, instead of thinking about trying to follow some restrictive diet, start asking yourself these questions and immediately begin implementing the following 5 Habits from Precision Nutrition in order to look and feel your best:
- Are you eating slowly? Sit down, relax, and take your time-about 20 minutes for a meal. Stop eating when you are about 80% full. This will help prevent the overeating that accompanies scarfing down a meal and eating until you have to push yourself away from the table.
- Where is the protein dense food? Aim to get at least 1 palm sized portion of protein dense food. Men should aim for 2 palm sized portions. Protein is essential for muscle repair, speeds metabolic rate, and provides more satiety--lessening the chances of over consumption.
- Where are the veggies? Eat a large portion of vegetables, prepared any way you like. A typical serving is about the size of a fist. Aim for a few portions at each meal.
- Where are the carbs? If you haven't just finished a workout, eat less bread, pasta, rice, and other starchy carbs. You can add an extra serving of vegetables if you please. If you have just worked out, a mix of carbs is fine.
- Where are your fats coming from? Each day, you need to consume fats from various foods. Prioritize whole foods like eggs, meats, fish, olives, seeds, and nuts. These can be spread throughout the day.
Follow these simple dietary guidelines, and your path to pulchritude will be a piece of cake. For more information, check out "Sculpting the Perfect Body : One Bite at a Time".